FRITZ!WLAN Repeater N/G – Service - Knowledge Base
Connecting FRITZ!WLAN Repeater with a wireless router using the 5 GHz frequency band
The FRITZ!WLAN Repeater can extend the wireless network of a wireless router (for example a FRITZ!Box) in the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz frequency band. If both frequency bands are enabled in the wireless router, then the wireless connection is always established in the 2.4 GHz frequency band if you use WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) to set it up. In order to establish the connection with the 5 GHz frequency band, you must disable the 2.4 GHz frequency band in the wireless router when setting up the repeater.
Requirements / Restrictions
- The wireless router must be able to provide the 2.4 and the 5 GHz frequency bands at the same time.
1 Disabling the 2.4 GHz frequency band in the wireless router
Note:We used a FRITZ!Box as an example for configuration. Some FRITZ!Box settings are only displayed if the advanced view is enabled. Refer to the respective manufacturer for information on how to set up other routers, for example consult the manual.
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Radio Network" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu.
- Disable the option "Wireless radio network enabled" in the "2.4-GHz Frequency Band" section.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
2 Connecting the repeater to the wireless router
Note:We used a FRITZ!Box as an example for configuration. You can find information on configuring a different router in its manual, or consult the manufacturer directly.
- Plug the repeater into an outlet near the FRITZ!Box to configure it.
- Push the middle of the "Run WPS for the first time" icon on the repeater's LED display until the "WPS" icon starts to flash.
Fig.: "Run WPS for the first time" icon
- Start the WPS function on the FRITZ!Box within two minutes. To do so, push and hold the "Connect", "WPS", "WLAN/WPS", or "WLAN" button on the FRITZ!Box until the "WLAN" LED starts to flash.
Now the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater establishes a connection to the wireless router using the 5 GHz frequency band. You can re-enable the 2.4 GHz frequency band in the router and plug the repeater in wherever you want.