FRITZ!Powerline 540E – Service - Knowledge Base
Setting up FRITZ!Powerline as a wireless bridge
In "wireless bridge" mode, FRITZ!Powerline increases the wireless range of your wireless router (for example a FRITZ!Box) and makes it possible for network devices with LAN ports (for example a media receiver for IPTV, game console) to access your home network and internet connection over wireless LAN (WiFi). In this case, FRITZ!Powerline and the wireless router are connected over wireless LAN; this means that you do not need to connect these two devices with a cable, nor do you need a second powerline adapter.
Fig.: Connection scenario for wireless bridge mode
Requirements / Restrictions
- FRITZ!Powerline is located somewhere where the quality of the wireless router's wireless network is good.
- The transmission speed of wireless devices connected to FRITZ!Powerline is halved because data packets must be transmitted twice in wireless bridge mode.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for FRITZ!Powerline.
Briefly disabling the MAC address filter
The wireless router's MAC address filter may not be enabled during configuration:
Note:We used a FRITZ!Box as an example for configuration. If you are using a different wireless router, refer to the device's manufacturer for information on how to set it up, for example consult the manual.
Now the wireless router's MAC address filter is disabled. You can re-enable it as soon as you have finished configuring the wireless connection between FRITZ!Powerline and the wireless router.
Connecting FRITZ!Powerline to the wireless router using a network cable
- Use a network cable to connect FRITZ!Powerline to a LAN port on the wireless router.
2 Configuring wireless bridge mode in FRITZ!Powerline
- Click "Access to Home Network" in the FRITZ!Powerline user interface.
- Click the "Change type of connection" button in the "Access to Home Network" menu.
- Enable the option "Wireless bridge" and click "Next".
- In the list of "Radio Networks (WLANs) Found", select the name of the wireless router you would like to connect your FRITZ!Powerline to and click "Next".
- Enter the wireless settings and click "Next".
- Click "Finish" to save the settings.
Wireless bridge mode is successfully configured as soon as the "WLAN" LED on FRITZ!Powerline remains lit. You can then unplug FRITZ!Powerline and plug it in wherever you want.
3 Connecting the device with FRITZ!Powerline
You can connect game consoles, computers, smartphones, or other devices to FRITZ!Powerline using a network cable or wireless LAN:
Connecting a device to FRITZ!Powerline using a network cable
- Use a network cable to connect the device to a LAN port on FRITZ!Powerline.
Connecting the device with FRITZ!Powerline via wireless LAN
- Set up the wireless connection to FRITZ!Powerline.