FRITZ!Powerline 540E – Service - Knowledge Base
Configuring FRITZ!Powerline as a LAN bridge
When FRITZ!Powerline is configured as a LAN bridge, it makes wireless access to your home network and internet connection possible in places where the wireless network (WiFi) of your wireless router (for example a FRITZ!Box) is not accessible, or if the router does not have wireless LAN capabilities. In addition, you can use a network cable to connect media receivers for IPTV, game consoles, or other network devices without wireless capabilities to FRITZ!Powerline, and therefore to your wireless router. Since a network cable is used to connect FRITZ!Powerline and the wireless router, you do not need an additional powerline adapter with this connection type.
Fig.: Connection scenario for LAN bridge mode
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for FRITZ!Powerline.
- FRITZ!Powerline is located somewhere where it can be connected to the router by means of a network cable.
1 Connecting FRITZ!Powerline to the router using a network cable
- Use a network cable to connect FRITZ!Powerline to a LAN port on the router.
2 Configuring LAN bridge mode in FRITZ!Powerline
- Click "Access to Home Network" in the FRITZ!Powerline user interface.
- Click the "Change type of connection" button in the "Access to Home Network" menu.
- Enable the option "LAN bridge" and click "Next".
- Select which IP settings FRITZ!Powerline should use and click "Next".
- Accept the preset wireless settings of the FRITZ!Powerline adapter or define individual wireless settings and click "Next".
Important:To ensure optimal security, the password should be at least 20 characters long and contain capital and lower-case letters (but not letters such as ä, ë, ö, ü, é, í), digits, and other characters.
Note:If FRITZ!Powerline and the wireless router use identical wireless settings, wireless devices automatically connect to the wireless network with the strongest signal wireless roaming).
- Click "Finish" to save the settings.
3 Connecting the device with FRITZ!Powerline
You can connect game consoles, computers, smartphones, or other devices to FRITZ!Powerline using a network cable or wireless LAN:
Connecting a device to FRITZ!Powerline using a network cable
- Use a network cable to connect the device to a LAN port on FRITZ!Powerline.
Connecting the device with FRITZ!Powerline via wireless LAN
- Set up the wireless connection to FRITZ!Powerline.