FRITZ!Powerline 1260E Service - Knowledge Base
Powerline connection drops frequently
The powerline connection between two or more FRITZ!Powerline adapters drops frequently.
1 Installing the latest FRITZ!OS for FRITZ!Powerline
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on the FRITZ!Powerline adapter.
2 Checking whether the FRITZ!Powerline adapters are working properly
To rule out a defect, check the functionality of the FRITZ!Powerline adapters by plugging them into a power strip:
- Take two FRITZ!Powerline adapters between which the powerline connection drops frequently and plug them into two adjacent sockets of a power strip.
- Unplug all other devices from the power strip.
- Unplug all of the other powerline adapters in your home network.
- Use a network cable to connect a FRITZ!Powerline-Adapter to your router (for example a FRITZ!Box).
- Check the event log of your routers for error messages (for example, a FRITZ!Box might display "Disconnected the powerline adapter [...]").
3 Reducing interference to the electrical wiring
Interference to the electrical wiring in the home may be severely impairing communication between powerline adapters. Try to reduce the interference or eliminate it completely:
- Plug FRITZ!Powerline directly into a wall outlet; do not use it with a power strip or an extension cord.
- Avoid powerline connections on different phases, fuse boxes, and ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI).
- Do not use FRITZ!Powerline behind surge protection.
- For testing, turn off other devices or briefly unplug them to determine possible sources of interference and minimize them.
Examples of possible sources of interference are switched-mode power supplies, dimmers, halogen systems and energy-saving lamps, as well as electric motors when they are running (for example in a refrigerator, food processor, dryer, washing machine, vacuum cleaner, or drill).
- Make sure that cables carrying a VDSL signal are at least 10 cm away from electrical wiring and outlets.
- Try different wall outlets and reduce the distance between the adapters.