FRITZ!Box 7590 Service - Knowledge Base
Using an IP telephone or internet telephony software with FRITZ!Box
IP telephones are available as telephony devices (hardphone), a combination of an adapter and a regular telephone, or a software solution for your computer. There are two different ways to use an IP telephone or internet telephony software with your FRITZ!Box:
- You can register the IP telephone or the internet telephony software directly with the FRITZ!Box as a telephony device. If the FRITZ!Box is connected with a landline, you can use it to make calls over the internet as well as from the landline. Furthermore, you can conduct internal calls with other telephones connected to the FRITZ!Box.
- The IP telephone or the internet telephony software establishes the connection to the internet telephony provider itself and only uses the internet connection of the FRITZ!Box to do so. You can then only make calls over the internet with this telephone.
1 Registering an IP telephone or internet telephony software with FRITZ!Box
- Register the IP telephone or the internet telephony software with the FRITZ!Box as a telephone device.
Important:If you are using the internet telephony software Skype, you can establish a connection with your computer and then use a headset to conduct the call. However, you cannot use Skype with a telephone connected to the FRITZ!Box. The FRITZ!Box uses the common protocol SIP for internet telephony, but Skype uses its own protocol.
2 IP telephone or internet telephony software establishes the connection itself
- If you have to forward ports in the FRITZ!Box for the IP telephone or the internet telephony software, forward them in the FRITZ!Box user Interface under "Internet > Permit Access > Port Sharing (Port Forwarding)". The manufacturer of the telephone or the software or your internet telephony provider can tell you whether port sharing is necessary and if so, which ports must be forwarded.
Important:Port 5060 can only be forwarded if no internet numbers have been entered in the FRITZ!Box. Otherwise, the port is reserved for internet telephony with the FRITZ!Box.
- If your internet telephony provider has a STUN server, enter its name in the connection settings for the IP telephone or the software.
- If you cannot make or receive calls after completing the configuration, contact the manufacturer. Additional settings may be necessary. Since the telephone or the software establishes the connection to the internet telephony provider itself and only uses the FRITZ!Box's internet connection, you do not need to and cannot configure any settings in the FRITZ!Box. Therefore, the FRITZ!Box cannot resolve this issue.