FRITZ!Box 7390 – Service - Knowledge Base
Setting up port sharing in the FRITZ!Box
By default, the FRITZ!Box's firewall protects all of the devices in the FRITZ!Box home network from incoming connections and unsolicited data from the Internet.
If you configure port sharing, you can use online games, file-sharing software, and other Internet applications that accept incoming connections from the Internet, or allow users in the Internet to access web servers and remote maintenance servers as well as other server services in your home network.
The FRITZ!Box offers different options for sharing ports that can either be used separately or together. Which type of sharing is best depends on the requirements of the respective application or server service and your own personal preferences.
1 Setting up automatic port sharing
- Set up the FRITZ!Box for automatic port sharing with UPnP if
- you want to allow the application to set up all of the required port sharings in the FRITZ!Box on its own.
- port sharing is not required for a server service.
- the application supports the standards UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) or PCP (Port Control Protocol).
Note:UPnP is supported by game consoles such as PlayStation, Wii U or Xbox, for example. The manufacturer can provide you with information on the respective application.
- the application requires you to share many ports, or different ports are used each time the application is used.
2 Setting up MyFRITZ! accesses
- Set up MyFRITZ! accesses in the FRITZ!Box if
- you want to allow access to a browser-based application in the FRITZ!Box home network over the Internet, for example a web server or graphic interface of a NAS system.
- you want to use a direct link in the device overview on myfritz.net to access the application.
3 Setting up static port sharing
- Set up static port sharing in the FRITZ!Box if
- you want to allow access to a server service in the FRITZ!Box home network over the Internet, for example a remote maintenance server or VPN server.
- the application does not support UPnP or PCP.