FRITZ!Box 7390 – Service - Knowledge Base
Error message "Unidentified Network" in the Windows Network and Sharing Center
A Windows computer cannot connect to the Internet using the FRITZ!Box's Internet connection. The error message "Unidentified Network" is displayed in the Windows Network and Sharing Center.
Important:Some of the settings described here are only displayed if the advanced view is enabled in the user interface. The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the issue persists.
1 Enabling the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server
The FRITZ!Box is configured as a DHCP server in the factory settings. If you disabled the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server, configure the following settings:
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button.
- Enable the DHCP server and define the range from which the FRITZ!Box assigns IP addresses.
Note:The FRITZ!Box has the IP address 192.168.178.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and assigns IP addresses from xxx.20 to xxx.200 in the factory settings.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
2 Configuring the computer as a DHCP client
To ensure that the computer always uses the correct IP settings, make sure that it is configured as a DHCP client (this is the standard setting for most operating systems):
- Configure the computer to automatically obtain IP settings (DHCP).
3 Configuring the computer's firewall
A firewall is preventing the computer from obtaining its IP settings from the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server:
- Configure the firewall on the computer so that it allows connections from the computer to the FRITZ!Box. Refer to the manufacturer of the firewall for information on how to set it up, for example consult the manual.