FRITZ!Box 7360 – Service - Knowledge Base
Using an Apple iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in the FRITZ!Box home network
You can easily connect an iPhone, an iPad, or an iPod touch from Apple to the wireless network (WiFi) of your FRITZ!Box. The iOS device can then access the Internet, conduct calls over the FRITZ!Box, and play photos, videos, and music from the FRITZ!Box Media Server.
Note:Here we show you how to connect an Apple iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to the FRITZ!Box using an iPhone 5 with iOS 9 as an example.
Changing the name of the wireless network (SSID)
The following step is only necessary if the name of the wireless network (SSID) of your FRITZ!Box contains special characters, letters with umlauts, or accented letters:
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Radio Network" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu.
- Enter a unique name that does not contain special characters in the field "Name of the wireless radio network (SSID)". Since not all wireless devices support all special characters, we recommend using only standard Latin letters (not letters such as ä, ë, ö, ü, á, é, í) and numbers.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
Enabling the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server
The FRITZ!Box is configured as a DHCP server in the factory settings. If you disabled the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server, configure the following settings:
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button.
- Enable the DHCP server and define the range from which the FRITZ!Box assigns IP addresses.
Note:The FRITZ!Box has the IP address 192.168.178.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and assigns IP addresses from xxx.20 to xxx.200 in the factory settings.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
2 Connecting the iOS device to the FRITZ!Box
- Tap "Settings" on the home screen.
- Tap "Wi-Fi" in the "Settings" menu.
- If wireless LAN is turned off, tap the "On / Off" icon.
- Under "Choose a network..." tap the name of the FRITZ!Box's wireless network (SSID) (see fig.).
Note:If you do not know the name of the wireless network (SSID) and the network key for your FRITZ!Box, determine your FRITZ!Box's wireless settings.
Fig.: Selecting FRITZ!Box's wireless network
- Enter the FRITZ!Box's network key in the "Password" field and tap "Join".
Now the iOS device is connected to the Internet via the FRITZ!Box. It can play multimedia contents from media servers in the home network with suitable apps, for example.
3 Using an iOS device with the FRITZ!Box
Conducting calls over the FRITZ!Box
The following steps are only necessary if you would like to use your iOS device to conduct calls over the FRITZ!Box when you are at home:
- Set up FRITZ!App Fon.
Accessing the FRITZ!Box over the Internet
The following step is only necessary if you would like to securely access your FRITZ!Box or control your smart home devices over the Internet when you are away from home:
- Set up MyFRITZ!App.
Playing multimedia contents from the FRITZ!Box media server
The following steps are only necessary if you would like to use your iOS device to play multimedia contents on USB storage device connected to the FRITZ!Box:
Using a printer connected to the FRITZ!Box
Only printers that use Apple's AirPrint technology can be used by iOS devices. If your printer does not support AirPrint, you can only use it with iOS devices if you install additional software (for example FingerPrint or handyPrint) on a computer and then use the iOS devices with the computer. The software functions as an AirPrint server and forwards the print job from the iOS device to the printer.
Setting up a VPN connection to the FRITZ!Box
The following step is only necessary if you would like to use VPN (Virtual Private Network) to establish a securely encrypted network connection to your FRITZ!Box and to the network devices or services in the home network using your iOS device's Internet connection:
Note:Whenever a VPN connection is active, all Internet queries are routed over the FRITZ!Box. This means that even when using your iOS device in public wireless hotspots, you will have tap-proof und tamperproof access to all web services, such as e-mail or online banking.
- Configure a VPN connection to the FRITZ!Box.