FRITZ!Box 7330 – Service - Knowledge Base
Starting computers in the home network over the Internet (Wake on LAN)
With the "Wake on LAN" function you can start computers in your FRITZ!Box home network over the Internet. This way you can use use remote maintenance software to access a computer in the home network at any time, without having to always keep the computer on, for example.
Requirements / Restrictions
- The computer must either be connected directly to a LAN port on the FRITZ!Box or via a hub/switch.
- The computer must support the ACPI standard.
Note:The manufacturer can provide you with information on ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface) and the various sleep modes of your computer.
- The computer must be configured for sleep mode "S3", "S4" or "S5".
- The FRITZ!Box must obtain a public IPv4 address from the Internet service provider.
Important:The FRITZ!Box is not accessible from the Internet over IPv4 when used on a DS-Lite ("Dual-Stack Lite") connection. When DS-Lite is active, the status "IPv4 over DS Lite" is displayed under "Connections" on the "Overview" page of the FRITZ!Box user interface.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
Depending on whether users from the Internet will be using an application or a VPN (Virtual Private Network) connection to the FRITZ!Box to access the computer in the home network, follow the instructions in the section that describes the desired scenario:
Setting up port sharing in the FRITZ!Box
The following step is only necessary if users from the Internet will be using an application such as Microsoft Remote Desktop or Teamviewer to access computers in the FRITZ!Box home network:
- In the FRITZ!Box, set up port sharing for the ports and IP protocols used by the application on the computer.
Note:You can find information on the ports and IP protocols that are used in the manual, or consult the manufacturer of the application directly.
Setting up a VPN connection
The following step is only necessary if users will be accessing computers in the home network over a VPN connection to the FRITZ!Box:
- Configure a VPN connection between two FRITZ!Box networks.
2 Allowing a computer to start automatically when accessed from Internet
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Network" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Devices and Users" tab.
- In the list of "Devices and Users", click the button (Edit) for the computer to be started.
- Enable the option "Start this computer automatically as soon as it is accessed from the Internet".
Note:You can click the "Start Computer" button to start the computer directly from standby mode. This way you can test whether the computer supports "Wake on LAN".
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
The computer will now be started automatically as soon as
- the computer is accessed from the Internet over a shared port.
- a query is sent to the computer over the VPN connection.
After about 10 seconds you can access shared files and server services on the computer.