FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE – Service - Knowledge Base
Network device cannot be renamed
Computers, smartphones, or other network devices listed in the home network overview in the FRITZ!Box user interface cannot be renamed. When you attempt to rename a device, the FRITZ!Box may display the error message:
- "The name contains illegal characters. Computer names may contain only letters (a-z, A-Z), numerals (0-9), and hyphens (-). The name may not be made up of numerals only."
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
1 Name contains illegal characters
Remove all illegal characters from the names of the devices:
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "All Devices" tab.
- Click the entry "Details" that corresponds to the device you would like to rename.
- Enter a name of your choice that does not contain special characters for the "Name".
Note:The names are DNS host names. Therefore, only use standard Latin letters (not letters such as ä, ë, ö, ü, á, é, í), numbers and hyphens (-). The name may not consist of only numbers.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
2 Connecting the network device to the FRITZ!Box over the guest network
Only network devices that are connected to the home network can be renamed in the FRITZ!Box user interface. Devices that are connected to the FRITZ!Box via the LAN or wireless guest network cannot be renamed in the FRITZ!Box.
Note:The FRITZ!Box displays devices with their host names if the devices report them to the FRITZ!Box when they obtain their IP settings via DHCP. Network devices that do not report their host name to the FRITZ!Box are displayed with their IP address (for example "PC-192-168-178-20").