FRITZ!Box 3390 – Service - Knowledge Base
Parental controls incorrectly block Internet access
The FRITZ!Box parental controls prevent a computer, smartphone, or a different device from accessing the Interest, although it should have been allowed to access the Internet at the time the error occurred.
The following messages are displayed:
- In a web browser on the device: "Internet access is blocked."
- In the FRITZ!Box user interface: "Parental controls blocked. FRITZ!Box has prevented an attempt to evade parental controls. During this process it was necessary to block Internet access."
1 IP address of the device was changed
If the device does not obtain its IP settings from the FRITZ!Box via DHCP, the FRITZ!Box assumes that a change in the IP address means that an attempt was made to evade parental controls. In this case, it completely blocks Internet access for the device.
- Configure the network device to automatically obtain IP settings (DHCP).
2 Device is not directly connected to the FRITZ!Box
If the device is connected to the FRITZ!Box by means of an additional router (for example a second FRITZ!Box as a wireless repeater, a wireless router or wireless repeater in Universal Repeater Mode), the device's communication with the FRITZ!Box is altered. This then leads it to assume that an attempt to deceive it is being made, which causes it to then completely block Internet access for this device.
Note:If you use an additional router to connect the device, the other router does not transmit the device's MAC address to the FRITZ!Box. Since the FRITZ!Box uses a combination of IP address and MAC address to identify each device, it interprets requests from the same MAC address in combination with different IP addresses as an attempt to evade the parental controls.
One of the following measures can resolve this issue:
Installing the latest FRITZ!OS
Starting with FRITZ!OS 6, FRITZ!Boxes, FRITZ!WLAN Repeaters, and FRITZ!Powerline adapters transmit information about devices connected to them to the FRITZ!Box that establishes the Internet connection. This allows you to use the parental controls function with devices that are connected to the FRITZ!Box by means of an additional FRITZ!product.
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on all of your FRITZ!products. You can update the FRITZ!OS of your FRITZ!Box as described in this guide.
Connecting the device directly to the FRITZ!Box
If the solutions given above are not possibilities or the steps cannot be performed, then you can only use parental controls for the respective device if you connect it directly with the FRITZ!Box:
- Use a network cable to connect the device directly to a LAN port on the FRITZ!Box,
- or, if it is a wireless device:
- Connect the device directly to the FRITZ!Box's wireless network.