FRITZ!Box 3272 – Service - Knowledge Base
USB printer not or occasionally not detected by FRITZ!Box
The FRITZ!Box either does not detect a USB printer connected to it, or it occasionally does not detect it. When the error occurs, the printer is not displayed in the FRITZ!Box user interface under "Home Network > USB Devices > Overview of Devices".
If the FRITZ!Box keeps detecting the printer again, the message "USB device xxx, Class 'USB x.x (full-speed) printer', plugged in" will be displayed in the event log of the FRITZ!Box numerous times.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the issue persists.
1 Restarting the FRITZ!Box
- Unplug the FRITZ!Box for 5 seconds.
Note:The FRITZ!Box settings remain intact. The restart will take about 2 minutes. During this time, you cannot access the FRITZ!Box.
2 Installing the latest FRITZ!OS
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on your FRITZ!Box.
3 Connecting the printer directly to the FRITZ!Box
Perform the following step if the printer is connected to the FRITZ!Box by means of a USB hub:
- For testing purposes, connect the printer directly to the FRITZ!Box, i.e. without a USB hub.
- If the printer is now detected, then the USB hub is either defective or it does not support the printer you connected.
4 Testing a different cable
The USB cable being used to connect the printer to the FRITZ!Box may be too long, or an incorrect USB cable may have been used:
- Use a high-quality USB cable that is as short as possible to connect the printer to the FRITZ!Box.
5 Connecting all-in-one printers via the USB remote connection
All-in-one printers (devices that are a combination printer, scanner, and fax machine) register themselves with the FRITZ!Box as several different device types. If you would like to use all of the functions offered by your all-in-one printer with your FRITZ!Box, use the FRITZ!Box USB remote connection software:
- Use the FRITZ!Box USB remote connection to connect your all-in-one printer to your computer.
6 Checking which USB standard(s) the printer supports
The FRITZ!Box supports the USB standards 2.0 and 1.1. However, some older printers only support the USB standard 1.0. You cannot use this type of printer with the FRITZ!Box. The event log of the FRITZ!Box shows you which standard the printer supports:
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Event Log" in the "System" menu.
- Select "USB devices" from the drop-down list.
- If the message "USB device xxx, Class 'USB 1.0 (full-speed) printer', plugged in" is displayed, you cannot use the printer with the FRITZ!Box because the printer only supports the USB standard 1.0.
7 Checking whether the printer is working properly
- For testing purposes, connect the printer to a USB port on your computer.
- If the computer also does not recognize the printer, then either the printer or the USB cable is defective. In this case, contact the manufacturer.